Sunday, February 28, 2010

Winter Olympics 2010: Fare Thee Well

I have to say folks: I really enjoyed the Winter Olympics this year. The ski jumping was fun. I loved the figure skating. Kim Yu-Na was amazing! I don't know a darn thing about figure skating (and I'm gay, mind you) and even I could tell that it was a once in a lifetime performance.

I missed hockey which, frankly, was a shame. I like hockey. BUT I tackled cleaning my living room tonight, so I missed it. Darn.

The Winter Olympics this year was a comforting thing to watch as I went to bed; there were so many great events. I could study, and just put it on in the background for some rare, high-quality late night television. I can't wait for the Summer Olympics, because I have a lot of memories from childhood of warm, sticky evenings spent watching swimming or some such event with my dad or mom. The windows would be open, and we'd let the breeze fly through to cool us. And we'd lazily watch.

So, here the Winter Olympics are ending. And Canada, unlike China (at the last summer games), are going for the fun and comedy factor to close it out. And that's good, because I was sad with the quiet, somber "Olympic lights" show they did. Instead, they have a Broadway-type show going on, complete with inflatable beavers, William Shatner, Catherine O'Hara, and Michael Buble. Yes, folks, that's our Canada. God love 'em.

What would the world be like without Canada? It would be a boring, quiet, not-so-funny planet. Being a Michigander, I can say that more than a little of Canada's culture rubs off on us, and vice versa - and I appreciate how it has enriched me so. And so, ladies and gentlemen, let's give it up:

The 2010 Winter Olympics, hosted by Vancouver and the great nation of Canada. "The Maple Leaf forever!" Congratulations, and great job!

(Now, it's time for a Labatt, eh?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment