Friday, December 25, 2009

Ahh...I'm home.

Well, I made it home - finally! Took 10 and a half hours, but I'm here. Turns out that storm did indeed hit. It was just more north than I thought (so it was a good thing I took that tour of the turnpike much more to the south). My hometown on the shore of Lake Michigan was completely covered in ice. My car sled down the road, and I practically skated in the front door of my parents house. Yep, I was a regular Michelle Kwan.

The family's traditional Christmas Eve party was long since over; I had missed it. Everyone had a great time, and I'm disappointed the trip so long. But my parents - bless them - were waiting up for me. My Mom gave me a big hug, some party leftovers (mmm...Swedish meatballs before bed), and I settled in. And even though it's only for a couple days, I get to be a kid at Christmas again. There will be home cooked food. There will be sleeping in. There will be cards and board games and Scrabble. I'll see my favorite aunt. There will be excessive TV watching. But the real signal that Christmas is here?

None other than a living room visit from my good buddy, Ralphy, from "A Christmas Story." I grew up watching him with my family, and when I wrangled the remote from my night-owl father, there he was. Twenty-four hours of him on TBS. I've seen the movie too many times; I even own it on DVD. But it's a tradition, nonetheless.

And so - with Ralphy in the background; with holiday food in my tummy; with my all family in a warm and safe house; and with a very white (and icy) Christmas out our front door - I sleep.

I'm very happy to be home.


Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment