Thursday, January 14, 2010

Dunkin' Donuts in Squirrel Hill

Well! So SqHill lost a Panera, but I'm not sure we haven't gained so much more. Located at the corner of Shady and Forbes, Dunkin' Donuts has invaded my neighborhood and my diet. But maybe this isn't what I thought it would be: a measurable increase in my cholesterol and carb intake!

Yes, faithful but absent readers, there are the standard donuts, donut holes, and muffins. Coffee by the jug is of course served. This is a senior citizens coffee klatsch dream!

But also on the menu are super healthy breakfast choice items. This morning, I had an egg-white and veggie sausage with cheese bagel sandwich, with a sensibly portioned side of hash-browns and coffee. Also on the menu were egg white wraps with veggie bacon - listed clearly on the menu at less than 190 cals a wrap. Indeed, this Dunkin' Donuts only had veggimeat options for its bacon and sausage. Meaning a breakfast here is probably healthier than the one you can get elsewhere in the neighborhood. Plus, it was fast and only $5.00 - I can eat breakfast again!! Clearly, the city based Dunkin's have to offer healthier options to the hip, urban crowd; the choices here aren't what you'd find at the stores in smaller towns or the suburbs.

The store is decorated as an outsized Dunkin'. Tile floors don't mix well with the coffeehouse furniture, such as a sofa and comfy chairs. But there is a fireplace and two LCD TV's so that makes up for the odd mix of hard and soft surfaces. DD would be wise to mix a little carpet in the areas - I'd stay longer and spend more.

All-in-all, a great pit stop for a quick breakfast before heading to work or school. Get here early - the line sometimes pushes to the door around 7:30am. And speak up. The room isn't acoustically proofed. Music playing, people talking, food cooking may have caused the lady behind the counter to misunderstand me when I said large coffee instead of small. She also may not have been paying attention, as they seem to be steadily busy and it is 7:00am. My only complaint this time around, and I'm not sure at this time of morning I would do any better.

Overall, 3 out of 4 stars. A great neighborhood addition which was risky but was done well and considered the eating habits of the locals. Now I wonder just what will go in the old Panera space on Murray? Hmmm.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment